Balthali Village Hiking Tour is a highly popular hiking route surrounding the Kathmandu Valley. It is about 40 km from Kathmandu. The surrounding high green hills, rich in luxuriant fresh foliage, and the beautiful uninterrupted vista of the snow-capped Himalayan Mountains from the Balthali Village inspire sentiments of peace. The hike to Balthali village gives you the chance to witness the rich cultural traditions of Nepal. It also offers to interact with the locals while also supporting Nepal's attempts to promote village tourism.
While the northern horizon is adorned by the snow-capped peaks of Dorjee Lhakpa, Langtang, and the other mountain ranges, The views to the south are dominated by the tall hills of the lushly green Mahabharat Range. The region is densely forested and is home to a rich variety of flora. Bright Sal, Magnolia, and Rhododendron trees line the slope that undulates and slopes out to terrace fields. Nature lovers and bird watchers can spend days discovering and learning about some unique wildlife species.
Your next stop after leaving Balthali Village is Namobuddha (1750m), a holy place cherished by Buddhists. It is said that Lord Buddha offered his body as a sacrifice to a hungry tigress and her cubs. The route passes through charming villages and scenic paths. The stupa and monastery of Namobuddha radiate a calm serenity that makes them the ideal places for contemplation and peace.
As you continue your journey, the trail takes you to Dhulikhel (1440m). It is a beautiful village renowned for its breathtaking Himalayan sunrise and sunset vistas. The town's vibrant bazaars and well-preserved Newar architecture provide a pleasing contrast to the tranquility of the trekking paths. From here, you can see the snow-capped ranges from Karyolung in the east to Himalchuli in the west in their entirety.
Highlights of Balthali Village Hiking
- Witness breathtaking sunrise and sunset views over the Himalayan range from hilltop vantage points.
- Escape the city hustle and immerse yourself in the serene ambiance of Balthali Village.
- Enjoy well-marked and beginner-friendly hiking paths that wind through terraced fields and charming villages.
- Explore lush rhododendron forests, blooming wildflowers, and diverse bird species along the trails.
- Engage with friendly locals, experience rural Nepali life, and savor authentic Nepali cuisine.
- Stay in cozy guesthouses or homestays that offer a blend of rustic charm and modern amenities.
- Capture stunning shots of the natural landscapes, sunrises, sunsets, and local life.
- Enjoy panoramic vistas of terraced fields, rolling hills, and the majestic Himalayas.
- Bhaktapur has a five-story Nyatapol temple, the golden gate, and 55 carved window palace buildings built from the 13th to the 18th centuries.
- The tallest Shiva statue (144 feet) at Sanga